Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

by ANGEL L. RAMOS

Do you want to know the truth or what I think you want to hear?

How many times has this question come up in your mind during a job interview? The majority of job interviews consists of “pat questions” that you can find answers to in one of those job interview books or yahoo career articles from so called job experts on the best way to give a pre-canned answer. Speaking of which, here’s a great one to check out-

Would it be best to just pre-answer these questions via email and save everyone a lot of time?

Let’s cut to the chase…

Employers want to know three things:

Can you do the job?
Will you fit in?
How much will it cost me?
Interviewee should want to know:

What are your needs?
How can I help you?
What is your long-term vision?
Unfortunately, part of the job interview process is having to sit through these often uncomfortable interviews and be prepared to answer questions like: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I always wanted to answer this question with something like “sitting in your seat” or “CEO of the company”. Realistically you’re taking a huge risk with these answers. On the other hand, I have lost out on job opportunities because I didn’t give this answer.

So how do you answer a question like this? I really can’t tell you the right way to answer this question. I do know that some approaches work better than others.

I took this question to my good friend Derek Sudduth, a Career Transition Counselor at a local USMC installation.

This is what he had to say:

First, to answer the question you have to understand what the potential employer is really asking. They want to know, “Are you worth the initial investment? If I hire you, will I have to hire again in six months to a year? Or are you looking for something long term?”

It can also be said that they are looking for someone with ambition.

There are several ways the question could be answered but a safe bet is to provide a realistic, professional goal-oriented answer; one that shows interest in the business and how that business fits your long-term goals.

As an example, you may say, “Professionally, I am interested in advancing my knowledge of the financial industry. My goal is to be working as a professional financial planner. The experience your company offers will be extremely beneficial.”

Adding to this, it’s also a good idea to show flexibility in your plan, “Although this is my goal, I am open to opportunity and flexible with my plan.”

If your answer shows personal and professional growth, and openness to opportunity, you can’t go wrong.

This question also lends an opportunity to show the potential employer what we know about their company. For example, “Well, I understand that your organization has a case management department that assists client with their benefits. I would like to prove my capabilities, and with time, earn a spot on that team. I am however always open to opportunity.”

Again, ensure your goals are positive; show progression, and openness to new opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment