Friday, March 2, 2012

The Number One Mistake People Interview Are Making These Days

Jessica Liebman


I'm the Managing Editor of Business Insider, in charge of all our editorial hiring.

I wrote a post last week about the number one mistake people I interview are making these days: They don't send thank you notes.

If I don't get a thank you note, I assume the person doesn't want the job, is disorganized, and I'll likely forget about them.

The thank you should say a few things:
• Thank you for meeting (or talking) with me.
• I really want this job.
• Quick plug about why I'm perfect for it.

Since my post went up, I've gotten scores of emails asking the same question: Should I send a handwritten or electronic thank you note?

While it varies depending on the industry, I'd strongly suggest going with the email. Here's why:

Dangers of the handwritten thank you:
• There's a delay. I'm a firm believer in following up with a thank you note less than 24 hours after the interview, while you're still fresh in the interviewer's mind.
• The letter might never get to your interviewer. It could get lost in the mail, the secretary could throw it out, it could end up in a pile of envelopes that don't get opened for months.
• It feels old. It's 2012. Sending a handwritten note just feels ancient to me. Especially if you're up for a job in the Internet industry. Be current.
• The chances of the interviewer writing back to you are less. The letter feels more final.

Why the email thank you works:
• You can send it the day of your interview to show just how eager you are.
• You know it will at least find its way into the interviewer's inbox. Whether they read it or not is a different story.
• If the interviewer ever searches for your name in their email, the note will pop up and remind them that you followed up and really want the job.
• You can easily tailor it to the vibe of the interview. It can be as casual or as formal as you decide. Handwritten notes always feel too formal to me.
• The interviewer might write back to you. The email will be open on their computer, and there's a bigger chance they'll respond, or ask you a follow-up question, or continue the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment